HIFU- High Intensity Focused Ultrasound
High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) is a relatively new cosmetic treatment for skin tightening that some consider a noninvasive and painless replacement for facelifts. It uses ultrasound energy to encourage the production of collagen, which results in firmer skin.
What is HIFU and Why is it Used?
• HIFU is the only non-invasive treatment cleared by the FDA to actually lift skin.
• HIFU stands for ‘High Intensity Focused Ultrasound, this treatment can target various depths of the body’s tissue for skin tightening, skin lifting and body contouring
• HIFU works by targeting deep layers in the skin, it boosts new collagen production and collagen regeneration right at the source.
• It is sometime called the ‘Lunchtime Face Lift’ as the treatment is quick, and very tolerable
How Does HIFU work?
• High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) directly delivers heat energy to skin and subcutaneous tissue that can stimulate and renew the skin’s collagen and thus consequently improving the texture and reducing sagging of the skin
• It literally achieves the results of a face-lift or a body lifts without any invasive surgery or injections.
• This technique can be applied to the face as well as the whole body, and also, it works equally well for people of all skin colors, in contrast to that of lasers and the intense pulse lights
• Get ready to say goodbye to sagging jaws, fine lines, wrinkles and cellulite
• HIFU doesn’t involve any creams, fillers or toxins; it just relies on your body’s own collagen-building process for natural, noticeable results
• These ultrasound waves penetrate deeper into the tissues without affecting the epidermis and focus at a single point in the adipose tissue and cause thermal Injury.
Here’s a nice video on exactly how the HIFU works in the skin.
How long does one treatment take?
• The length of the treatment will depend on the area being treated and your individual treatment plan
• A face and neck procedure typically take 60-90 minutes, while a chest treatment takes approximately 30 minutes
What does the HIFU treatment feel like?
• As the ultrasound energy is delivered, you will feel tiny amounts of energy being deposited to precise depths, indicating that the collagen-building process has been initiated.
• You may feel tingling or heat.
• Comfort levels vary from person to person, but the sensation only lasts while ultrasound energy is being delivered.
• This discomfort or sometimes even pain is very brief and a good sign that collagen-building process has begun.
• People with thicker skin or more dense areas will tolerate HIFU treatment very well.
When will I see results?
• After your HIFU Treatment, you may see some initial effect, but the ultimate results will take place over 2-3 months, as your body naturally regenerates collagen.
• Since the procedure stimulates your own collagen production, how long the results last really depends on you and how you care for your skin.
• The treatment produces new collagen on the inside, but your natural aging process will dictate how long that translates into visible results on the outside.
There are three phases that the skin will go through:
1st is the Inflammatory Phase– This is experienced in the first 48 hours. Experiencing edema, itching and some skin numbness.
Next is the Proliferation Phase– 2-6 weeks post session- experiencing tightness, tenderness, seeing reduction and contouring.
The last phase is the Remodeling Phase -3 weeks to 6 months- main contouring and lipolysis seen.
These results are immediately following their treatments, they still have much more results to come:
How many treatments are needed?
• Most clients only need one treatment, however, based on the degree of skin laxity, the biological response to ultrasound energy and the individual’s collagen-building process, some clients benefit from additional treatments.
• Since skin continues to age, future touch-up treatments can help clients keep pace with the body’s natural aging process. Typically 1 time per year.
Are there any side effects?
• The skin might appear flushed at first, but the redness should disappear within a few hours.
• You might experience slight swelling, tingling or tenderness to the touch, but these are temporary in nature.
• Other, less common post- procedural effects may include temporary bruising or numbness on small areas of skin.
• As with any procedure, there is the possibility for other rare effects, which your technician will review with you.
Schedule your “HIFU Consultation” to see if you are a good candidate. We will discuss the risks, the benefits, costs and alternative options for your trouble area. Then, we encourage you to take home the information we will provide to think it over and do your research.